From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:26:57 -0700
Hello,
I’ve bee researching the famous verse written by Virgil.  Most here are probably familiar with it, and the fascinating story behind the verse, perhaps best known as ‘Sic vos non vobis’  written by Virgil around 40 B.C.E.

“Nocte pluit tota; redeunt spectacula mane:
Divisum imperium cum Jove Caesar habet.
Sic vos non vobis nidificatis aves :
Sic vos non vobis vellera fertis oves :
Sic vos non vobis mellificatis apes :
Sic vos non vobis fertis aratra boves :”

I am particularly interested in the 5th line:
“Sic vos non vobis mellificatis apes”
which translates to:
‘Thus do ye, not for yourselves, make honey, ye bees.’

The meaning of the verse, I understand well.

But in the late 1600’s, the 5th line of the verse is used in the woodcut, pictured below:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/FeralBeeProject/Feral20Colonies/newpic.jpg

But when the mottos together with the images; which are symbolic in nature and meant to convey a particular meaning are considered,  it appears a totally different meaning is scribed to the translation of the 5th line, IMO, MUCH opposite to what Virgil meant it to be.

I am seeking opinions as to the meaning of ‘Sic vos non vobis mellificatis apes’ on the woodcut, when the content of the woodcut images and other phrases are considered.

I have a rough draft of the story of ‘Sic vos non vobis’, as well as translation and a short analysis of what the images are on the woodcut, and what they symbolize, I could send ‘off list’ to anyone having a basic knowledge of Latin and familiar with Virgil.  I don’t care to have my story picked to pieces here on list, I’d prefer it be picked apart off list.

Also, seeking information on why the variation in spelling of the verse appears in the ancient Europe version.

From this:
Sic vos non vobis mellificatis apes
To this:
Sic nos non nobis mellificamus apes