From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:53:08 -0400
>"We've been pushing them too hard, And we're starving them out by feeding
them artificially and moving them great distances."

As has been pointed out repeatedly, beekeepers have fed syrup and
transported hives for decades with minimal harm. What is happening now is
different, and although it may be aggravated by these practices, it can
hardly be said to the cause. Syrup feeding is normally only to supplement to
natural sources, and moving bees usually takes them out of a dearth and into
better pasture. Beekeepers are by and large not stupid and their practices
have not changed radically. The best people in the business are saying we
don't know yet, and the rest have all kinds of uninformed answers.

pb