From:
Glen van Niekerk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:49:53 -0700
Marc Saving wrote:

> Inspection of two of my hives found that
> there is nectar/honey in the upper brood
> chamber (2 deeps).  There is NO ROOM
> for laying in the upper deep.
>
> I live in New England, and was wondering
> if it is worthwhile and practical to extract
> the honey in the brood chamber to make
> room for more laying.

    Hi!

    I did this about 4 weeks ago to stop the African bees swarming
tendency. I usually
    do this in the beginning of the season when large amounts of nectar
and pollen is
    being collected. I took 2 of the outer frames (no 1 & no 10) out of
the hive. Next
    I split the other 8 frames in groups of 4 each(this is in the same
hive). I then
    replaced 2 frames with wax foundation in position 5 & 6. Yesterday
when I went to
    inspect I found that these 2 new frames had been drawn with comb,
filled on both
    sides with larva and capped ! Now I have a swarming problem again !
I think I shall
    split these hives in 2.

    Maybe it is better to keep these honey stores for your bees now. You
then should
    have a stronger colony in the spring and then with your next honey
flow you can
    try it.

    Glen van Niekerk
    South Africa

    P.S    I use supers to crop honey - not deeps