From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:42:52 -0500
Recent studies show:

> In our in vitro study the responses of human lymphocytes after treatement with varying concentrations of amitraz were evaluated by the Comet assay. The results show that all selected concentrations of amitraz (0.035, 0.35, 3.5, 35 and 350 μg/mL) induced significant increase in the level of DNA damage (p<0.05) in comparison to the negative control.

> The all tested concentrations of amitraz are lower than the recommended doses in beekeeping. The risk of direct exposure is related with the amount of the active ingredient use by beekeepers and current findings indicate the importance of education of beekeepers in the use of amitraz and to implement protection measures, especially because beekeepers are at increased risk of amitraz exposure.

Source: Evaluation of the DNA damaging effects of amitraz on human lymphocytes in the Comet assay, MILENA RADAKOVIC, et al. Department of Biology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Belgrade

Earlier (2006)

>  it is necessary to educate beekeepers with regard to the use of fumagillin for the purpose of consumer safety, even more that fumagillin has the ability to induce Rb translocations and other types of structural chromosomal aberrations which consequently could result in reproductive problems in honey consumers. A similar caution should be taken with patients treated with fumagillin against microsporidia.

Source: Acta Veterinaria (Beograd), Vol. 56. No. 4, 353-366, 2006. Stanimirovi Z et al. Frequency of chromosomal aberrations in the evaluation of genotoxic potential of dicyclohexylamine (fumagillin) in vivo

* * *

I find it a bit ironic that beekeepers are all up in arms about the possibility of pesticides harming bees and the issue of inadequate testing of agrichemicals, when they are the same people who use untested products, dismiss studies such as this that find adverse effects from products they use like fumagillin and amitraz, and rarely use adequate protective equipment when applying chemicals in non-approved scenarios.

PLB