From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:56:13 -0400

Everyone  concerned about bees and pesticides  should have a copy of
Johansen and Mayer's book.  It reflects the life work  of Carl and Dan, and the
Appendices cover most of  Larry Atkin's  work.  These three men tested the
majority of the pesticides used in the US  prior to the introduction  of the
neonicotinics.  The book reflects  their collective knowledge.

I am making it required reading for our  Journeyman beekeeping course.  Its
been out of print for some time - I've a  well thumbed and annotated copy,
Dan (who is the only remaining author - lives  up the valley from me) has
one copy.

Larry Conner at Wicwas has agreed to a small  print On Demand to produce
new copies.  He's trying to decide how many  copies to run.

If you want  a copy, let Larry know at  [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) .  I am sure the price will  go down as the number of ordered
books goes up.

Jerry

P.S.  Can't resist, this is HOT OFF THE  PRESS.  I've been talking to Dan
and Larry, and  last night Larry  agreed to a print run; but needs to know
how many books are likely to be  needed.  He's also talked about making it
available as an  e-book.

Here's an ABSTRACT, the APPENDICES and  TIERED TEST PROTOCOL provide a
wealth of information.  This book  really needs to be updated to include newer
pesticides, but it is the  benchmark to which the newer products need to be
compared.  If one  bans the neonics, we will be back to the chemicals covered
in this  book.
Pollinator protection: a bee  & pesticide handbook.

by Carl A. Johansen and Daniel F.  Mayer  1990, 212 pp.
1990 pp. 212 pp.

CAB Abstract
The authors have been engaged in research on the effects of  pesticides on
bees for many years and are thus well qualified to write a  handbook such as
this one. It is aimed at beekeepers, growers and pesticide  applicators and
is written in a style that makes it easy for the reader to pick  out
information - e.g. short paragraphs, marginal notes, use of bold type, and  many
lists and tables. The book covers the history of bee poisoning, the types  of
pesticides involved, other factors involved in poisoning, effects such as
synergism and repellency, the symptoms of poisoning, and other causes of bee
 mortality that can cause confusion. Most of the book concerns honeybees,
but  information on leafcutting bees [Megachile rotundata] and alkali bees
[Nomia melanderi] is also included. There is much useful advice on how to
prevent or reduce pesticide damage to bees. An outline is given of laboratory
methods for analyzing bees for pesticide residues, and USA laboratories
undertaking such analyses are listed. The 6 appendixes give data for toxicity
of  pesticides. The book also contains a short reading list, a glossary, a
chemical  name index and a general index. Although much of the information it
contains is  particularly relevant to the USA, the book will be useful to
beekeepers and  others anywhere where the poisoning of bees by pesticides is
a  problem.