From:
Isis Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:58:47 -0500
A new method for rearing genetically manipulated honey bee workers

Centre for Integrative Genetics and Department of Animal and Aquacultural
Sciences, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, PO Box 5003, 1432 Aas, Norway

Published online 1 June 2005

Abstract – Advanced functional genomic research on the honey bee (Apis
mellifera) will require methods that allow researchers to work with bees
derived from genetically manipulated embryos.

We present a technique that allows manipulated honey bee eggs to be
introduced into hives so the larvae can be reared in a colony setting.

We have developed a modified hive that allows for the manipulation of honey
bee embryos. We have demonstrated that manipulated honey bee eggs are
accepted by nursing colonies and that they appear to develop into normal bees.

The technique seems to overcome the main challenges associated with in vitro
rearing, and this is encouraging because the need for practical tools for
rearing genetically manipulated honey bees is likely to increase over the
next few years.