From:
Robert Gaddis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:24:36 -0400
FACT IS: The NC program was NOT for NEW BEEKEEPERS ONLY. Preference was
to be given to new beekeepers, but there was no restriction as to who
could apply. If you read the application you can see there is no
stipulation for NEW beekeepers only. Otherwise, there would have been
only 1 check box: "Are you wanting to become a beekeeper?"

The way the program was explained by Dr. Tarpy last year, was that
tobacco farmers who wanted to enter the beekeeping field would be #1 on
the list, followed by everybody else, with hobby beekeepers on the
bottom of the pile. The state did not anticipate the number of
applications. It was 2773 applications, not 2500, and there were 500
hives@2 per person, so that would be 250 sets of bees, not 200. I think
the decision to place bees was made based on the application responses,
trusting that the applicants would be truthful about their experience
etc. Everybody was encouraged to apply, sort of like sending in an entry
to Publisher's Clearing House, knowing the chances of getting bees was
slim-to-none, but still worth the effort, JUST IN CASE it might happen.
Suppose only 150 persons had applied and 140 were beekeepers? What would
theyhave done with the rest of the bees? It's all irrelevant now, since
it's a done deal. I'm happy for the bee recipients and wish them well.
Maybe some more money will trickle down from the Golden Leaf Foundation
and it could go to mite and hive beetle eradication research.

Here's a plaintext copy of the application from the NCSU Entomolgy
website:(BTW it says nothing about having to join a local bee club)

Do you have previous agricultural experience?

_ Yes_ No

If yes, give brief description:

Do you have beekeeping experience?

_ Yes _ No

If yes, please describe:

Are you/have you been a member of a beekeeping

organization?

_ Yes_ No

If yes, which organization: _______________

Have you ever received formal training in apiculture?

_ Yes _ No

If yes, where?

Which of the following best describes yourself:

(please check one)

_ I am a potential hobby beekeeper with no

experience or training in beekeeping.

_ am a potential hobby beekeeper with some

training in beekeeping (e.g., a local bee school).

_ I am currently a hobby beekeeper who wishes to

become a full-time commercial beekeeper.

_ I was once a beekeeper but no longer keep

bees, and I wish to start beekeeping again.

_ I am an active beekeeper with moderate

experience and training, but I do not wish to

become a commercial beekeeper.

_ I have an active agriculture enterprise and wish

to become a beekeeper to pollinate my crops or

orchards.

In order to be considered for the program, you must

agree to the following:

(Please check each box to indicate agreement)

_I will acknowledge the receipt of materials by

phone or e-mail;

_ I agree not to sell materials obtained through the

program within 2 years after receipt.

_ If I quit the program, I will agree to return the

bees and materials as instructed.

_ I agree to respond to a survey for research

purposes.

_ I will assume personal liability for all materials,

including honey bees.

_ I agree to participate in education and training

sessions.