Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:00:07 -0700
> I had never use OA(V) because It can cause kidney and liver problems. That
> is what I was told by a beekeeper that did a technical trip to Denmark and
> Italy some 4 years ago. I also understood that the oxalic cristal are
> available for a couple of hive inspections, therefore one should use the
> mask for quite a while after application.

It is funny the stories which go around and the fearmongering that goes on.
I heard all the same stories early on, but it seems they are unfounded.
Oxalic acid is apparently present in many foods in fairly high amounts and
mostly harmless if not overdone.

I have pictures of various beekeepers standing around while the 'smoke'
swirls around.  They are grinning and all are still alive last I noticed.  I
don't know anyone who uses a mask.

Its use in concentrated form is not without risk to the eyes and skin due to
concentration, but we handle many other dangerous chemicals without serious
harm.  Obviously splashing it on the body or breathing can be harmful
depending on concentration and duration, but the rumours appear to have been
an exaggeration by several orders.  Simply flushing well with clean water is
sufficient to mitigate the harm assuming the contact is discovered and
remedied immediately.