From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:28:05 +0000
Allen expanding the field asked:

Which dog is winning?

I refer back to the original question:

Who is winning the race?

- the "beasties" or the researchers trying to develop what we require.

I wished for some indication on what individuals thought about the progress being made by
researchers in supposedly supplying us with bees that can cope with present day conditions.

Is getting a bee strain that is capable of dealing with Varroa but little else, any use?
Is getting a bee strain that is capable of dealing with Res. AFB but little else, any use?

Programs appear to be giving rise to strains that are generally "mono competent"
These then being released as good types.
Maybe they are in their selected domain - but the average environment is not pressured by one or two
problems only!
We appear to need bees and fast, that are capable, i.e. all packed into one tiny body type, of
dealing with the many "actually present" ills.

Are they not arriving onto the market because:
1.We are not far enough down the selection process?
2.The present day set up in the research establishments does not allow for development of companion
sets of gene selection?
3.Is it realised that the final product cost would likely as not be supported by the industry?
4.It would impinge on individual pet subjects and research areas if a mega team started trying to
collect all in one bee type?

I suggest that if we continue as we are, then the beasties will inflict a lot of damage over a long
period of time - but with the support of man, bees will possibly hold the edge!

Researchers are attempting some of the individual items that we require - but not getting the items
that result together in one product.

Often cited as the way to go is Integrated Pest Management - viewed as difficult, costly and in some
circumstances as things stand not a real alternative.
How about trying Integrated Bee Production?

I'm ust following current advice about asking questions about what we are being supplied with!

Peter