From:
Paul Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:08:56 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Dalby
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Paul wrote on the subject of wasps under his beehive roofs  I have replied
>direct to him but thought others may be interested in my thoughts.

Peter,

Thank you for your comments. I simply wondered if other people had
observed more queen wasps than in previous years. My other apiaries have
little / no problem with wasps but this new apiary site does seem to
have more than its fair share of them.

It is a very good honey production site and I would be inclined to leave
the colonies there all year-round if they did not attract too many
pests.

You raise a very good point about the place that wasps play in the grand
scheme of things. I guess that I would just prefer it if there weren't
quite so many of them under my hive roofs. A clear case of NIMBY (Not In
My Back Yard) -ism, I know!

Beekeeping is a wonderful way of getting to know more about the wildlife
which inhabits our countryside. I frequently see the occassional deer or
fox while checking my colonies during the summer months
--
Paul Walton M.B.A.
78 Russell Road, Toddington,Bedfordshire, England LU5 6QF