From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:20:00 -0400
a Mr Krengel snip...
Except for the admonition for not feeding honey to infants, they could not name a potential harmful reaction to local honey.

Et replies..
Even this claim is subject to question.  Charlie Marzz (spelling likely all wrong) wrote many times in the ABJ about there NOT being any direct evidence to support this claim and my mother (who spent all of her working life teaching home economics or as an extension home demonstration agent) always though that cross contamination was a better explanation for this than anything directly related to the honey itself.  Of course with no legal requirement or inspection the potential for cross contamination could (likely will) become a larger and larger concern.

None of this conversation (by Mr Krengel or Eugene) even approaches an adequate response to my concerns regarding the brand of honey or the potential for some small number of folks to totally devalue this positive consumer feelings concerning the product many of us here sell.  Eugene (beyond admitting his own illegal selling of honey) has also reported (in his last response to this issue) that the existing 'law' is already being skirted by one commercial beekeeper.  I would suggest the larger the spread between the wholesale and retail price of honey that this small larceny only has the potential to grow and grow and grow.  Basically the larger the price differential the more motivation there is for folks to cheat or game the system < you can deny this 'most likely outcome' if you wish but I have personally witnessed this several times in our own farmer's market group and when it does happen I always end up just shaking my head thinking 'folks would flush their own reputation down the toilet for so little money'.

My concerns in regards to this question is at least here (Texas) we now have laws on the books with no one to oversee or monitor that the requirements are met and non explicit wording in the bill that suggest that there is no one to interfere or review the program.  The 'non explicit wording' I would guess should allow or require the state health department to totally shrug off any and all complaints concerning honey and there is even some question as to their ability to intervene in regards to illegally imported honey.

And finally the ULTIMATE question I pose here is.... Is this change in the law good for all?   That is it a positive thing for both the producer and the consumer?