From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:08:13 -0500
Waldemar said "The bees
collected a lot of delicious honey from mostly, I believe,
goldenrod.  The honey started crystalizing with very fine grain in
the buckets within 3 days after extraction! "

I believe the reason the honey granulated so fast was the presence of Aster
nectar.  As Goldenrod and Aster share part of the same blooming period, and
Goldenrod is so spectacular while Aster is relatively inconspicious,
Goldenrod get the blame for the fast granulation.  But the culprit is really
Aster.

If one gets Goldenrod early in season, before Aster starts blooming, the
honey is very light and does not granulate faster than most.  But once Aster
is mixed in, the honey will granulate within a week of being extracted!  At
least one company takes maximum advantage of this, see
www.reallyrawhoney.com.  However, the owners (who are marketers not
beekeepers) attribute the fast granulation to Goldenrod and want to purchase
honey from beekeepers in the NYS "Goldenrod Belt".  Aster also flourishes in
those areas.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.