From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 08:35:03 -0400
>Bee-listers,
>
>It is swarming season in Santa Barbara. I have received 3 calls alone in
>the past week to remove swarms from various sites around the town.
>
>I learned my lesson on the method of transporting one swarm which I would
>like to share with this list.
>
>A local trucking company had a swarm move into its yard and collect on a
>single branch 15 feet above the ground. Since the swam was right in the
>midst of trucks and people, the manager wanted them out ASAP.
>
>With the use of a fork lift, he lifted me up to the swarm.  I cut the
>branch with the swarm and dumped it into a PLASTIC bag. Forgot to poke some
>holes in the bag.  Big mistake!!  ByY the time I got to my apiary (10
>minutes traveling time),  1/2 the colony had perished by suffication. I
>found the queen but she was too far gone so I combined the remaining bees
>with a new colony I had collected a week before.
>
>My question is:
>
>1)What methods are used to transport a swarm back to the apiary?
>2)Would a burlap sack work better? Cardboard Box?
>
>I am interested in experiences from members of this list.
>
>Paul Cronshaw DC
>Hobby Beekeeper
>Santa Barbara,  CA

Hi Paul,

        Use a super with a lid attach by spring clips top and botton and
enough frames of foundation or comb in the centre of the super, in the other
spaces place empty frame in to pack the frames. Dump the whole swarm into
the super and place the lid on quickly, and transport them to the apiary,
getting them into the vehicle with the motor running which will relax the
swarm, remove the super before turning the motor off, let them settle and
open the hive with a gentle puff of smoke. Your new swarn will settle. Leave
them alone for five to seven days before inspecting.
Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia