From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 07:29:12 -0400
Sid Pullinger wrote:

> To test for EFB, AFB, Nosema, etc. one needs a high powered microscope and
> the skill to use it and recognise what is revealed.

 If you must salvage the combs give them to a swarm. That
> way only one stock is involved.

Actually, you can check for AFB and EFB by looking at the uncapped and
capped cells. AFB is easy to see even in old combs that have been cleaned
out, if you know to look on the "floor" of the cells for residue. If you
have dead brood, the way they are oriented, appearance and tongue give
indications of Sacbrood, AFB and EFB. Toothpick will check for AFB in
capped cells.
Nosema may be indicated by the poop left on the frames and supers, but that
could be dysentery.
Bad honey can be a cause. Check and see if it is fermented if it shakes out
easily. Honey dew kills hives in long Maine winters.
Even Varroa and Tracheal can be guessed at by how the colony died- stores
and bees left. And varroa is readily seen on the bottom boards, but that
may not be why they died.

As far as giving the combs to a swarm, if it is AFB, you are only insuring
it spreads to the rest of the apiary.

Most good beekeeping books describe what to look for with diseases and
mites. But the best way is to see it yourself. The most education I ever
got was to go with Tony Jadczak, our State Inspector, checking migratory
hives. Saw AFB, EFB, Chalkbrood, and Sacbrood all in a morning.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME