From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2023 17:06:27 -0500
"Can Honey Bees Feel Pain?"

What does that even mean?

Does that not imply consciousness?

And then, what is consciousness?  And can we define and prove it with any consistency or agreement except in specific contexts?

I took a quick dive into Google "https://www.google.com/search?q=proof+of+consciousness"
and that confirmed my suspicions.  The answer is, "No",

So, why, unless we postulate consciousness, are we jumping to wonder if pain is possible?  First things first.

What brought this on, besides sampling the turbulent, fast-flowing stream of thought and quotes surging through BEE-L. lately, is observing my visitor bees on my little sailboat home, tied up here at the dock at my marina in La Paz.

Neighbourly bees come for fresh water and have formed an attachment to my kitchen tap.  They come and go from dawn  to dusk.

The faucet has a screen they especially like (image).  I use the word 'like' advisedly because it seems that way, but how would I know?

They come and go all day and are most polite and civil, happily sharing my tap with me if I want to wash dishes.

Each one behaves a bit differently.  Are they conscious? Why not?

But what does that imply?