From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:53:56 -0500
>> a) That "varroa resistance" exists as a latent trait at all,
>>    which is a highly speculative assumption, given zero
>>    confirmed cases of this in the past 20 years of varroa
>>    on the mainland US, and focused efforts by multiple
>>    breeders using every trick in the book.
>>

> AHB, and there are others.

Now, if my choices are between AHB and varroa,
I'll stick with the varroa if its all the same to you.
I doubt if Hawaii will allow anyone to introduce AHB
into the islands, not matter what the claims made.

> You only speak of man doing the picking and not the
> letting of nature taking its own course.

I considered the scenario with care, and pointed out
the very basic problem inherent in the case at hand -
the limited pool of genetic diversity on the island
at issue.  For "nature to take its own course",
there must be enough "nature" for it to be able
to diverge from the course set by man, and truly
take its "own course".

> Man messed it up  but maybe man can not fix its
> own debotchery.

I agree that if not for man and his pesky habit of
"Trade", neither varroa nor AHB would be in the
Western hemisphere at all, but then, neither
would be the current "best bet" source of exactly
the genetics that might help bees combat varroa,
the "Russian" breed of bees.

But what "others"? Beside AHB, and how might
these "others" have evaded detection, despite the
many people looking so hard?  And how would
any of these "others" have been introduced to a
very small island with few beekeepers?

Be specific and detailed in your list.

I really want to know where you think these traits
are, as I don't see them out there, moreso in a
limited genetic pool like an island.

               jim