From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 10:52:27 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/00 7:06:21 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Obviously a small beekeeping group can not handle every situation, but how
are things done in other areas? >>

Not very well I gather from the following article. Ignorant fear about
honeybees seems to be rampant in the land of Hollywood. I gather from what
follows there is a kill-on-sight attitude, if not a law, for honeybees in S.
California now that Africanized honeybees have arrived.
Some problems:
   1) There is a glaring (to me) error of accuracy, on the part of both the
vector control people and the reporter. The "bees" are building their "hive"
in the roots of a magnolia tree. Honeybees don't nest in the ground, unless
this is a behavioral characteristic of Africanized honeybees I'm not aware
of. The vector control people are either ignorant, or they are purposely
misrepresenting the type of insect to mug for the reporter who is doing a
story on "killer bees."
   2) Why are these state-government "professionals" dousing hives with
pesticides in the middle of the day, and then leaving a "bucket of
pesticides" to come back a second time and kill the foragers in a few days?
In addition to being wasteful (2 visits), it creates an extremely dangerous
situation for several days as the returning foragers are extremely volatile!
This is a terribly irresponsible situation, and leaves the city wide-open to
a lawsuit. It also will leave an indelibly negative imprint on the minds and
attitudes of people living in the surrounding area about the behavior of
honeybees.
   3) I find the journalist's flip characterization of the pesticide
applicators' work destroying bee hives as glamorous and glorious to be
offensive, gross. The part about these guys standing around a woman's yard
trying to pressure her to come on her property and kill a swarm sounds like
abuse of their mandate as state workers.
   4) The only California victim of the "killer" bees, according to this
article, was a Long Beach beekeeper who was stung 50 times. Are there any
beekeepers out there who have had a bad day with their European bees and been
stung dozens of times? The point is, this happens to beekeepers. The story is
more indicative of the hazards of beekeeping rather than the hazards of AHB,
especially for those among us who don't always wear a full suit. It is highly
unlikely to happen to somebody who isn't messing around with a bee hive. This
is also a classic example of why beekeeps who mug for the cameras with
minimal (or no) protective gear are irresponsible to set the example.
   5) "These are the golden days for bee workers, a time of high public
appreciation and elevated status among their pest control brethren." Is this
reporting, or a public relations campaign? Personally, I receive elevated
status among my pest control brethren when I give them a jar of honey for
sending me all those swarm calls.