From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:19:24 -0800
Does anybody have a good explanation for how a swarm decides where to
land when the scouts haven't located a new home in time?

Back at the end of February I reported my first swarm of the season.
Today I got my second swarm from a spot not more than 6 inches from the
spot where I found the first one.  The bush is a Cotoneaster.  It's
about 5 feet tall and in full sun on a residential street corner in the
middle of town.  One of the locals told me that there are a minimum of 2
or 3 swarms in that same bush every year.

I've seen similar 'favorite landing spots' before, and am fascinated and
baffled by how consistently they can be chosen over other seemingly very
similar locations in the same area.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr