From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 04:57:48 -0400
Need some help here. I keep reading on this list that those who store
their supers open have no problem with wax moth. But neither do I since
wax moth only bothers with brood supers. (We tend to use "supers"
exclusively for honey supers.)

I can get away with storing brood supers open over one winter but not
necessarily one summer. If I do, even in Maine, I will eventually get
wax moth damage. So do those who store brood supers open over more than
a season have no wax moth damage? I think that the time they are not in
use has more to do with it than method of storage. Even wax moths have a
life cycle that would have to be matched with availability of empty
brood comb.

I do not like to store my honey supers open since it only encourages
robbing. Lots on this in the archives.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine