From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:35:51 -0700

> >Now all you BEE-L members which say one should not treat prophylactic why
> are you not condemning prophylactic treating bees when no symptoms are being
> seen

For the edification of those curious about the actual facts, the dsRNA
(double-stranded RNA) in Remebee does not work as well prophylactically, as
well as it does if the bees already have a low-level virus infection.  In
that case, it appears to amplify the bees innate immune response to that
virus, which then appears to be given to the next generation of larvae, in
the same way that colonies normally respond to a virus infection.

> >and with a treatment with secret ingredients?

I know how much you love your conspiracy theories, Bob, but no secrets.  The
instructions for the preparation are detailed in Maori, et al 2008, and
published in Insect Molecular Biology.  You can also download the U.S.
patent *20090118214*
* *

> >Just trying to make you think a bit!

Hard for us to keep up with you, Bob, but we're trying...

> > if I could get the almond growers to pay for the product!

I'm not trying to hawk the product, as it is only in the stage of finding
willing commercial beekeepers to run further field tests in order to
determine its efficacy.  However, *my* almond growers pay only for live
colonies, and pay extra for stronger ones.  Just a few years ago, they were
only paying $45 rent, but these past few years have paid me between $160 and
$180.  So I guess that they are paying extra for those who invest what they
can to supply strong colonies.  Or is there something that I am not
understanding?

Randy Oliver--must be late