From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:02:10 -0400
Brian Fredericksen  wrote:

>the non sustainable operation is so screwed up that all the CCD
studies in the world will only be a band aid even if they do find
something definitive to hang a hat on.

Mr Fredericksen,
You have repeatedly stated that large scale beekeeping operations have
essentially created their own problems. I have inquired as to what
practices you are referring to and what proof you have that any of
these practices are actually causing any of the problems that have
been observed. So far as I know, you have never really responded with
specifics. A non-specific them vs. us diatribe may work on naive
customers in the local farmers' market, but here you will have to
provide a little more meat with the bread.

I am not saying that there aren't practices that should be changed; I
am wondering what evidence you have. Because if there isn't any, your
argument boils down to "because I say so". For example, it is apparent
that viruses may be transmitted vertically from queen breeding
operations overseas to queen breeding operations in the USA, and
thence to the customers' bees via the queen, her eggs and her drones'
semen.

This is a very real threat and what are we to do about? Some
beekeepers don't buy queens from outside their operation which may be
a good solution or not. It may be a defense against unwanted
pathogens, but it would prevent the influx of new and better strains
of bees. So, someone needs to look at how to break this vertical
transmission route.

Moving bees from south to north and back causes the movement of pests
like the hive beetle. Perhaps a solution is to go back to moving only
bees without comb. I am quite certain, however, that many people would
prefer to control the pests rather than give up the ability to move
their whole operations several times a year.

In other words, specific problems have to be identified and specific
solutions have to be developed. It is pointless to just go on about
the big boys and their non-sustainable practices without identifying
them and proposing realistic alternatives. Or perhaps you would just
as soon see them all fail so that price of honey goes up to that of
maple syrup.

--
Peter L. Borst
Danby, NY  USA