From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:28:26 -0400
> Don't follow, Pete.  How would HIGH tolerances function as a trade barrier?  It seems to me that it would be the other way around.

If you want to keep imports out to protect a domestic industry, and you can't use tarriffs, you can raise some other obstacle, such as pesticide levels. This is especially effective if only the imports are being tested, and not the domestic product. So, the levels could be higher in domestic product, but only the imports have to pass over the bar.

Pete