From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:13:16 -0400
>> I sure get tired of all the hubub about protein content.

> I'm a bit puzzled by this comment. I agree that protein content is just one part of the nutritional story, but the Fat Bee/Skinny Bee book has some definite opinions about minimum protein content, and too much protein seems to have some adverse effects.

I thought I clarified that in subsequent posts, but perhaps the point was lost in verbiage.

I'll recap.  Succinctly.

IMO,  as long as the protein content is not too high, or too low, the *exact* level, specified to decimals of a percent,  is not an issue and is mostly a distraction from the real questions.

The important questions IMO have to do with amino acid balance, palatability, digestibility, availability, efficacy, texture, freshness, and actual cost for satisfactory results.

The proportion of other constituents in the mix may be more important, since an excess of lipids, for example, or inclusion of salts or other components -- even possibly sugars -- may be a problem.  Seems to me that in mixes, the bees are forced to eat the whole concoction -- good and bad --and may have limited capabilities to separate and sort the constituents out.  In order to get what they need they may be forced to eat thngs they do not need, or which may actually be -- worst case -- deleterious.

By focussing on protein content, some purveyors of supplements successfully distract prospects from noticing they are including ingredients which are not proven to be beneficial, especially in the amounts that are used.