From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:43:00 -0500
Jim said:

I could not imagine being "migratory" for even a single season.

For a inside look at the little-known world of migratory beekeeping may I
suggest the book:

"Following The Bloom"
Across America  with the Migratory Beekeepers
by Douglas Whynott.(copyright 1991)

The book is available from many bee supply houses.

Having  seen many of the things Douglass saw in his time with the migratory
beekeepers (many friends of mine) I can vouch for  correctness.

A trip to a public library might be the only way to read the next article
unless you collect old "National Geographic" magazines.

"U.S. beekeepers : Hives for hire" can be found in vol. 183, no.5 (May
1993).
Excellent  article and very correct by Alan Mairson.

  Being a friend of Douglass I will quote a bit from  his book after his
time with the migratory beekeepers and looking at the one hive he keeps in
his back yard.

From page 206 of "Following the bloom" by Douglass Whynott:

"I like to watch them, most of all, and now when I see them making their
sweeping arcs, when they glide down among the crowds of bees at the hive
entrance , I just watch. Contradiction has followed expansion,and I
sometimes think of a zen saying; at first mountains were mountains,AND THEN
THE MOUNTAINS WERE NOT MOUNTAINS,BUT SOME OTHER THING; now the mountains are
mountains again"

Go out and buy the book to keep the best and most current book about
migratory beekeeping around for generations.

 Old beekeeping books are NEVER tossed away but passed on.

I was given and old beekeeping book by a book collector awhile back because
the book was missing the front cover.

The inside is in perfect condition and I treasure the book and have made a
cover.

The book is the ABC and XYZ copyright 1919.
can members of BEE_L shed light on the original owner of the book?

Front inside page:
"To my dear husband with much love, Dr. Bernard J. Bohn,
From
your loving wife,
Ethel E. Bohn,

Sincerely,