From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2015 08:49:14 -0500
Most biologists care about the organisms that they study: the individual organisms themselves, the particular species, or the ecosystems in which those organisms live. As professors or teachers, they are excited to share these passions with their students, and usually find a ready audience.

Some even hope to share those passions with the wider public, especially because many species and ecosystems are threatened or endangered. And there are many large-scale human-caused phenomena that threaten organisms and their ecosystems: global climate change, habitat loss, water and air pollution, water shortages, invasive species, human overpopulation, increased extinction rates, etc.

Many actions are proposed to deal with these threats: We should reduce our reliance on fossil fuels by providing new transportation and energy options. We should halt large-scale deforestation. We should assist local peoples so that they can afford to live in harmony with the organisms around them. We should improve agricultural methods to reduce impact on the environment.

What is often left out of these discussions – what is often left out of the biology classroom – is why we should care about organisms and their ecosystems, and why we ought to consider taking these actions to protect them. Surely it isn’t just because we find them personally interesting.

We would not be considering, and enacting, such sweeping changes if that were all there were to it. And surely, even those who have not chosen to be biologists care about these organisms and ecosystems even if they don’t study them every day. As much as we sometimes think of humans as selfish, concerned only with money or with their own needs, widespread support for environmental organizations, environmental initiatives, and environmental reserves and public parks, suggests otherwise.

But again, why should we care – why should students study these organisms and their ecosystems, and why should the general public act to protect them? Is it only because humans depend on non-human organisms and ecosystems? Or do the organisms and ecosystems matter ethically themselves?

Environmental Ethics (2013)
Roberta L. Millstein
UC Davis