From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:15:00 -0700
>NY State"s Ethics Committee says that any Apiary Inspector who generates
>income from their own beekeeping activities can no longer work as an
>Apiary Inspector.

That's a thorny issue.  I understand why an apiary inspector may also keep
bees (one hopes that inspectors know something about bees, like bees and
beekeepers).

But I also understand why the NY ethics committee has addressed this
issue.  My guess, they're not worried about the inspectors who have a
couple of backyard hives.

I can illustrate this issue from an example in my own state -- from many
years ago.

When I first started out, Montana had a long-term, State Bee
Inspector.  One of my friends  hired on to help with the
inspections.  Turns out, the State Inspector had several hundred colonies
of his own.  My friend (a poor Graduate School) spent the summer on the
State payroll as an assistant to the state inspector, presumably to help
inspect hives.  However, he spent at least half his time managing the
Inspector's own hives, supering, extracting, etc.!

Again, I stress, all individuals involved with this are no longer in the
bee business -- and this all happened long before any of our current
inspectors.

Jerry