Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:02:39 GMT
>>In what way is HMFharmful to bees?

From researching on the net, I gather that HMF is a sugar that
results from the breakdown of fructose and, although it's harmless to
humans, it is toxic to bees.  I am not sure of the direct effect on
bees but it causes premature death.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:RkQB-pSF80IJ:www.dave-
cushman.net/bee/oxalicstorage.html+hydroxymethylfurfural+hmf+effect+on
+bees&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

Since valuable enzymes in honey decrease as the HMF increases, by
limiting HMF, there is assurance of minimum enzyme levels in honey
for the consumers in the EU.  [HMF is easier to measure than
enzymes.]  HMF rapidly goes up when honey is overheated so the HMF
limit also ensures the consumer does not get overcooked honey.  For
these reasons I think we could use HMF limits - or at least, a better
understandiong - here in the US.

http://209.85.165.104/search?
q=cache:KFywcPQfLmYJ:www.xs4all.nl/~jtemp/hmf.html+hydroxymethylfurfur
al+hmf+effect+on+bees&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

This site says that bees remove HMF from sugar solution before
depositing it in the comb.  This helps to explain why, after the
significant initial bee die-off, there is no long term effect.

http://209.85.165.104/search?
q=cache:MRNZ9DalmgYJ:www.opisik.pulawy.pl/1_2006_e.html+hydroxymethylf
urfural+hmf+effect+on+bees&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

Sorry about the wrap-around links.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY