From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:33:56 -0500
Susan Jordan wrote:
> Honey has the power to heal wounds because it releases hydrogen peroxide at
> a slow enough rate not to damage the skin tissue.

I recently tried honey instead of my normal neosporin for a fairly bad cut
and after that, treated two bad burns.

The cut was a knife cut to the bone on my thumb. Normally the cut would
heal open, since even if I closed it, eventually water immersion or normal
use would open the wound. I dressed the wound with honey and a common
bandaid. I changed the dressing twice a day or every time I got it wet
(washing dishes. I am domesticated).
After three days, the wound had healed closed and I stopped treatment. It
never reopened. I can barely see the scar, some two months later.

Did the same with a bad burn, but had to use gauze pad and tape. Same
results after three days.

Got a samll burn on my finger yesterday (no I am not accident prone) and
treated it. I did not cover the burn completely. When I removed the bandaid
to retreat, the honey treated part was pink while the untreated part was
red and ugly.

Honey works. It really does not cause a problem with stickiness or is messy
in any way. A quick wipe around the applied dressing gets rid of the
excess.
The honey was unheated and a mix of spring and summer nectars- clover
predominant.

Which leads me to a question I already know the answer to- if it works so
well and is so cheap and abundent, why is it not being used in this country
to treat burns and other wounds?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME