From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:39:15 -0500
 Can I (I figure I probably can) move frames of brood over
>     the distance from one site to the other?  If I can, how should I do it
>     to prevent chilling of the brood?  Any tips on how this is done would
>     be appreciated.
>
>     Should I run the heater in my pickup until I am "toasting" before I
>     pull the brood, then drive like mad, or is there a saner method?

Mark,  you can set up a few empty hive bodies with floors stapled on and
screened.  Then when you pull brood frames put them in these hive bodies, 9
at a time, with adhering bees.  Only remove the lid when adding another
frame of brood, to help keep most of the bees in.  Then move these
holding-boxes to the new site and take them apart again, adding brood to
the new package colonies.  It doesn't matter if the bees are mixed up from
several hives.  Or, fill nuc boxes with the brood frames and move them like
that (lighter to carry).  I haven't had trouble with robbing or fighting
this way.  Just don't accidentally pull one of your queens with the brood
and bees being transferred & watch out for robbers.

I would just put the hives in the back of the pickup unless it's really
cold, in which case you probably wouldn't be carrying out the operation
anyway.  If it's normally cool they'll generate enough heat clustering.  If
you're taking brood without bees you might want to use the warm cab.  I
have put a couple of brood & bee-filled nuc boxes on the seat next to me a
number of times.  (They love going for a ride.)  Five miles will be good
and quick.