From:
Michelle Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:50:05 BST
On Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:52:26 -0500 STEVE PHILLIPS wrote:

> From: STEVE PHILLIPS
> When checking my hives yesterday, I noticed that in several of them (the
> strongest hives) virtually all of the combs in the brood box are filled with
> pollen, in the lower boxes, and honey, in the upper boxs.  There is a little
> brood near the bottom of the frames in the top box, and in burr comb
> between the frames.

The fact that there is little brood concerns me.  Pollen is used for brood food, so, no or little
brood means that the pollen will not be used up and stored instead.  Back to the brood, is there
eggs present?  if not, it could be that the Q has been killed or gone with a swarm and the
brood you see is the remainder of the sealed stuff.  Alternatively,  if there is a vigin Q she will
mate and in most cases will not have begun to lay by the time the brood from the old Q has
hatched therefor pollen is stored as it is not used.   Then again, the Q maybe failing and the
egg laying capacity has gone but it is likely that you would get supersedure here.

Not an easy situation to solve, Sugest you make sure eggs are present first and see if its the
same Q or and new Q just starting to lay.