From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2015 06:07:37 -0500
Not that it helps now, but counting varroa is best done with a sticky board
while the hive is still alive.  Over winter, sticky boards can also "map"
the size and approximate position of the cluster from the debris that fall
as well as allow one to screen for varroa that survived fall treatment or
came back to the hive with bees that robbed out weak colonies or fall
deadouts.

With all due respect,  no.

Best method bar none is Randys Wash methods.   Sticky boards are rudimentary
at best.  The comments that Mites don't cause winter losses is misleading
also.  Mites cause small winter clusters,  and super high death rate of
brood in that first round of spring.  You will also find mite feces right in
the cluster, no matter where it is.  It is much harder to spot in a honey
super than  brood nest,  but its there.

Thanks Randy,  my first note was poorly written.  My apologies.  Your
description was very spot on.   I though afterwards I should also add the
main cause of hive loss here in the Midwest, as it might give another
insight.  That January/Feb thaw is our biggest issue, that and feeding
patties to soon.   Many times here we get warm/ cold spells.  Maples in
particular will have pollen any time it thaws out.  This early pollen
stimulates colonies to raise brood much to early.  Then we slip back into
cold spells,  the colony is forced to decide between moving to food, and
keeping brood warm.  They always pick wrong.  The signs are a tiny patch of
brood, and food nearby.  And  if mites are an issue many of the brood cells
will be perforated. The mites have been waiting all winter for that brood,
and it will be heavily infested.   Always frustrating to loose a colony to
brood that was doomed anyway.

Usually  here it's a combination of small clusters(mite issues are the main
culprit) and brood too soon.  Most colonies in this area are lost in
Feb/March.

Charles