From:
Rich Blohm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:06:15 EST
<< Looking at the bee-l logs I see that there was a discussion once on
 directions for a homemade polariscope in the "ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping".
 Since I do not have this book, I wonder if someone would post the correct
 placement of polaroid lenses in relation to light source, honey jar, and eye
 (and whether there are any rotation requirements).

 BTW, any comments on how well these are for seeing seed?

`I have a polariscope and I've looked at the picture of the one one pg. 909
in the HAHB.  The picture is very clear there is a light bulb in the box and
there are two sheets of polarizing filters sandwiched between two sheets of
glass one in front of the jar and one behind it.  And yes you have to rotate
the filters to get the desired results.  BTW, you will see any seed and any
lint or wax that you couldn't see with the naked eye.  If you want to make
one of these, go to a bee meeting when they are judging honey and the judge
should have one for you to look at.  Don't forget to bring some honey to see
how many crystals you have.

Good luck
Rich Blohm