From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:40:41 -0500
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:04:55 -0600, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't want to dispute the experts but I know PMS signs when I see it as do
>most of us which make a living from bees.

Bob I would not dispute that you and your acquaintances/friends know high mite load symptoms
and understand foul brood etc.  However I'm always amazed at how many commercial or larger
sideline beekeeps I meet who don't understand:

- the mite life cycle
- differences or limitations of mite treatments
- the connection between mites and viruses
- that antibiotics only cover up foulbrood
- how drift and robbing transfers mites and FB
- I could list more

From what I have observed most BEE-L participants have a better understanding then maybe the
average beekeeper so we may not realize how in the dark some of the rest of the beekeeping
world is in a day and age were beekeeping has gotten more technical and complex.

To further validate my thought, why would we have resistant mites & AFB and susceptible stock if
the bulk of beekeepers had a grasp of mites and FB?

I'm starting to come to the same conclusion that maybe Bob has and that is the only disorder in
this "disease" is the disorder in the minds and operations of some beekeepers.........

I guess maybe we can assume that is the answer if there is never a clear cut diagnosis or
explanation for CCD. I actually hope that is the case as that would mean the problem is solve-able
and not a new crisis.