Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:25:52 -0500
Establishing the honey bee genome (mapping the blueprint)  was step 1. Genes
> get lots of press, but it's the  proteins (step 2) that perform most life
> functions and even  make up the majority of cellular structures.

Amen. Along with RNA, these are the two  main areas that most of the new
discoveries are coming from. Mapping DNA only gives the edges of the puzzle.
How the rest of the pieces interact with the edges is what we are now
starting to understand. Problem is, we are also finding that the edges are
not as fixed as we once thought. One of the most interesting areas of
current science as it has so much promise, but is exceptionally complicated.
Just look at the complexity of any "simple" proteins.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine