Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 21:56:47 -0500
I saw a bee pollen website recently that stated a teaspoon of pollen contained 2.6 billion pollen grains.  If it was well dispersed in a 5 gallon bucket of honey, that would be enough to give you several million pollen grains per tablespoon.  I often extract combs with honey containing a lot of pollen and see a bit of pollen particulate on jar lids if I don't let it settle for several days before putting in containers.  The majority of my customers want honey that is unfiltered for the pollen content and I get asked fairly often how much pollen is in it.  Anyone seen any studies or literature that discuss pollen grain averages in honey?  Perhaps those who have run honey filter presses could could share a few observations with regard to pollen cakes on the press filters after a run.