From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 23:50:24 -0400
I quoted:
> The intestinal honey bee parasite Nosema ceranae (Microsporidia) is at the root of colony losses in some regions while in others its presence causes no direct mortality... The genetic origin of the honey bees could be a key in the understanding of differential mortality of N. ceranae infected bees.

Randy said
Pete, this is to me a questionable conclusion. ...  I do not wish to go into detail on this forum, so let's say that suspect that as Jerry B found, that there appears to be a virus/nosema synergy, amplified by both cold and poor nutrition.

Me:
First, the conclusion was not mine, but I was attempting to show that some people are implicating nosema in colony collapse where others are not. This work suggests differences in host susceptibility.  It appears to me that if N. ceranae is a tropical parasite, it may not thrive in cold climates at all.  You suggest a role for viruses, but decline to discuss it further. You sound like Bob, who likes to say he knows stuff but isn't saying it. Why come into a discussion group only to say you don't care to discuss it? If this isn't the forum for this, what is? Wherever it is, I guess I didn't get an invite.

PLB