From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 20:13:04 +0000
On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Robert Rice wrote:

> For all diseases there is a minimal infective dose which must
> be reached before a disease will establish itself.  If you
> can stay below this thresh hold then a disease outbreak is
> highly unlikely.

Something that many beekeepers in my area do is sterilise our
out-of-use equipment, usually using acetic acid but sometimes
by irradiation.

We build our empty boxes into stacks, sealed top and bottom,
with a pad soaked with a few tens of millilitres of 80% glacial
acetic acid about every foot (30cm) of height. Leave to 'stew'
for a few days then ventilate for a few more. It kills most
things pretty dead!

NOTE: 80% glacial acetic acid isn't very nice stuff, so if you
do this be careful. Wear the mandatory "big rubber gloves" (tm)
and a respirator mask (carbon filters). You *can* work without,
carfully and upwind, but I _don't_ recommend it. It also corrodes
many metals so watch the frame wiring and support runners.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]      [log in to unmask] (work)
The Basingstoke Beekeeper (newsletter)      [log in to unmask]