From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2017 06:52:36 -0700

> >To what extent are beekeepers (especially those who keep abreast of the
> scientific lit) familiar with the evidence pointing to pathogen spillover
> between A. mellifera and Bombus (bumble bee) species?

Peter, our human transport of pathogens, parasites, and pests across
natural geographic barriers certainly accelerates their "natural" rate of
dispersion, forcing host species to evolutionarily adapt at an accelerated
rate.  We certainly see this with *A. mellifera*, as well as with many
other species.  RNA viruses are of particular concern, due to their high
rate of mutation, which can lead to their adaptation to novel hosts and
vectors (as evidenced by varroa and DWV in Hawaii).

It appears to me that *N. ceranae* may follow a similar course (without the
vector)--i.e., adapting to novel hosts.  Ditto for SHB.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA