From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:10:21 -0400
Referring to wax moths infecting comb honey, Dave says "They really can mess
up comb honey. We try to process ours quickly,
placing ours in jars of liquid honey as cut comb. I wish we had a room sized
freezer to store supers of comb honey, so we could do this year around."

I process better than 1,000 pounds of comb honey a year.  My procedure is to
put an entire super inside a 40 gallon plastic bag and put the super and bag
in the freezer for 48 hours.  (My freezer takes about 12 hours to reach zero
degrees, and the other 36 hours is "insurance".)  I can put seven supers at
a time in my freezer, standing some on end.

After I take them out of the freezer I leave the supers in the bag for at
least 12 hours so moisture (condensation) will form on the bag rather than
on the sealed comb.  If have stored these in the bags for 4-5 months with no
difficulty.  After freezing, my worry is the sealed comb picking up moisture
from the ambient air and fermenting.  If all I was concerned about were wax
moth, I would not hesitate to store supers outside the bags.  I would stack
them cris-crossed and be certain they had 10-12 hours a day of light.

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm)  the finest in comb honey production.