From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:43:55 -0700
> I've been approached by a couple with a feral hive in a tree in their
> suburban garden; I haven't seen it yet.... they'd
> like the bees moved before then if possible, without wrecking the oak tree
> they're in. Does anyone know a fairly quick way of getting the bees out

Every year we get the same question and invariably it draws a lot of
guesses, but apparently no one has ever reported here on BEE-L successfully
managing to get the bees out with the queen in such a situation.  Guesses
are fun, I suppose, but they get wild and repetitious (see the logs).
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/BEE-L/

The only way I know will work with absolute certainty -- and it is simple
enough --  is to make an opening at the =very top= of the cavity for the
bees to escape and very, very slowly fill the entire cavity with water
(though some other hole).

The bees will ALL, including the queen, come out the top, if given enough
time to retreat in an orderly fashion and if it is done right.

Don't use much, if any, smoke and no chemicals -- these things merely
disorganize them and you want them to march out in an  orderly fashion and
cluster nicely so you can sweep them into a box.

They have no choice whatsoever using this technique, and it always works
smoothly and quietly, but doing this is not always possible due to location,
the nature of the cavity, etc.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/Diary/