From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:56:07 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   Dick Allen [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Saturday, December 22, 2001 10:13 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: AHBs in the US

Hello Dick and All,
Dick quoted:
At the worst of the Varroa infestation, instead of 3 1/2 years, swarms were only living about six months. He says the length of survival has been gradually increasing to at least 1 1/2 years on average.
If you study the data posted by the USDA on their study of those almost 300 feral swarms in Arizona in the late 90's you will see highest death rate was by tracheal mites and not varroa when the swarms were only lasting 6 months.
As for the above. Any strong swarm with only the amount of varroa the swarm can carry with it in the swarm should survive almost two years regardless  of  AHB or European in its new location. .
Absconding and constant swarming are ways Ahb can survive varroa. Sadly bees can not avoid tracheal mites in the same manner.  I suspect the most susceptible to tracheal mites AHB have died off and most feral swarms in Arizona today can survive longer without treatment. I don't believe the USDA is looking as hard at feral swarms in Arizona today as they did in the middle to late 90's. I would love to see  a update on those feral swarms.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison