From:
"Eugene N. Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:00:20 -0400
Gene Dixon

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter wrote>
> > (BIG nuclear snip here)
>
>    Does anyone know of a fumigation chamber or radiation chamber available
> in, or near South Carolina?
>
>    Oh yeah, I've already considered the nuclear waste dump at the Savannah
> River Plant. Some of my bees are near there, and they can work nights,
> because they have their own neon light.....    ;<)

Au Contrar

The Savannah River Site is the world's largest ecological controlled
research park.  A good point of contact for you to interact with them
would bee Dr. Whit Gibbons, University of Georgia.  Dr. Gibbons is an
internationally known naturalist.  The University of Georgia conducts
extensive ecological research at the Site.   Dr. Gibbons should be able, if
he is not offended by insensitive (;-)) references to his research forum,
put you in contact with scientist at the Savannah River Technical Center.
They should be able to discuss the irradiation possibilities.  They may
be nice people.

If I told you I worked there I would have to add a disclaimer to my
signature.  The standard government disclaimer is about a Gettysburg
Address in length.  I'll save the bandwidth.  You'll have to guess where
I gain full time employment.

OBTW, the swarm I captured last weekend is no more.  Opened the box, all
were dead or MIA.  All queen cells appear to be open.  I am in mourning.