From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 01:07:35 -0400
Brian Frederickson writes:  “likewise on the bee front 1/2 the colonies we
had in the US in the 1960's, every other year another bee crash/crisis.”

     Like I said before Brian, the pendulum has been swinging in the other
direction for a while now, and an adjustment continues to be taking place
as we speak.  Things may have gone passed a limit in the time when there
were more bees in North America than there are now, and if so, that might
in large part explain why we are seeing the difficulties that we clearly
are seeing.
     It is hard to make a living at beekeeping now, especially if your
practices are bucking nature too much.  To some degree we all have to deal
with the problems that bucking nature too much has brought upon the world,
but when it comes to beekeeping at least, it is those who continue to try
to fit a square peg into a round hole that are most at risk and often have
the most to lose.
     You seem to have a strong belief that the practices you use are sound
and sustainable, not only in terms of being able to keep some bees around,
but to make a living at it.  If so, you needn’t get in too much of a lather
about others who haven’t figured out what you have because your practices
will be among the ones that survive.  I am convinced that there are kinds
of beekeeping operations out there that are capable of surviving anything
that has been visited upon us so far.  These will be the future of
beekeeping.
     I understand that your frustration with the state of modern beekeeping
extends to much more than that.  It goes to the way humans have been
relating to nature in general for a long time.  But if you get in too much
of a fret about it, you risk losing that vital degree of objectivity
required to judge the big picture in terms of the facts on the ground, and
with that goes your ability to convince the skeptics.  Some of what you say
may be true, but a lot of it seems pretty hypothetical at this point.  Like
the idea that commercial migratory beekeeping is causing all the big
problems in beekeeping today.  I would like to see more facts and rational
argumentation to support this supposition.

Steve Noble