From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2015 07:13:32 -0700

> >In humans there are antibodies that are developed *after* initially
> succumbing to an illness that allow us to be "resistant" the next time we
> are exposed.  I cannot see that bees could have such a mechanism as their
> lives are too short.  So what mechanism do you imagine they could be bred
> for that would allow them to resist viruses?

Good question Christina.

Demonstrated or suggestive mechanisms would be:

   1.  For viruses specifically and in the long term, Eyal Maori clearly
   demonstrated that bees integrate a portion of the viral genome into their
   own genome (as do humans), which, if carried by a reproductive, would then
   confer resistance to subsequent generations.
   2. Via the jelly (either via protein priming or RNAi for viruses).
   3. Via Vg protein priming in the egg (the recent study that Bill
   referred to, perhaps limited to bacteria).
   4. Via the endosymbiotic gut bacteria involved in immune response.
   5. And of course epigenetic up regulation of existing portions of the
   genome.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA