From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:12:40 -0400
> Pete...what do you mean, "often"?  Can you support your statement? How does the incidence of food poisoning by organic growers compare to the incidence of food poisoning by "agribusiness"?

As a quick example (took five minutes to find on internet) I offer this article and the paper to which it refers

QUOTED MATERIAL FOLLOWS

When it came to bacterial contamination and produce, the reviewers found that there was not a statistically significant difference in the rate of E. coli contamination — 7 percent for organic, 6 percent for conventional — but the review noted that only five of the studies they reviewed directly compared this type of contamination. When the authors removed one study that looked only at lettuce, the meta-analysis showed that organic produce had a 5 percent greater risk for contamination.

For chicken, 67 percent of organic samples and 64 percent of conventional samples were contaminated with Campylobacter, while 35 percent of organic and 34 percent conventional samples were found to be contaminated with Salmonella. Pork was commonly contaminated with E.coli — 65 percent of organic and 49 percent of conventional samples — and the reviewer did not find any studies that compared organic and conventional beef.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/09/organic-food-not-proven-healthier-or-safer-study-finds/#.UhJtnBY2Hbp

* * *

The risk for contamination with detectable pesticide residues was lower among organic than conventional produce (risk difference, 30%), but differences in risk for exceeding maximum allowed limits were small. Escherichia coli contamination risk did not differ between organic and conventional produce. Bacterial contamination of retail chicken and pork was common but unrelated to farming method. However, the risk for isolating bacteria resistant to 3 or more antibiotics was higher in conventional than in organic chicken and pork (risk difference, 33%)

SEE:
Smith-Spangler, et al. (2012) Are Organic Foods Safer or Healthier Than Conventional Alternatives?: A Systematic Review Ann Intern Med. 2012;157(5):348-366.