From:
Milt Lathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:40:39 -0400
I visited my two hives in the mountains yesterday after work and was
pleasantly surprised to see that they have found and stored a goodly amount
over the last 3 weeks.
I had been concerned that they might need feeding to get thru the coming
winter months - so I was humming as I went into the brood chambers (2
medium supers) to apply Apistan.  One or both hives is throwing off
crawling bent-winged young bees.
BTW - no one ever mentioned use of Apistan strips in medium supers - my
frames don't line-up to allow full-depth insertion so I bent a strip over
the frames in one hive.
Putting supers back on I saw that an outside frame was still
partially/badly drawn on one side, I pulled it and decided to spread the
remaining 9 frames.
After a 45-minute drive back home I was unloading and decided to taste the
honey on that frame (palm sized capped area, lots of uncapped nectar) and
it tastes fantastic!
This got me thinking - have I already tainted this years best honey?  I
assume so - so I won't eat it which means I'd never give it to anyone else.
Then, it dawned on me - I don't really know how the stuff works - I use
it 'cause Everybody says to use it - doh!?

Is it Raid for mites?  If so, why doesn't it kill honeybees?
Does Apistan give off fumes?
Does it depend on the bees touching the strip?
What about my supers - will the frames be safe to use next year?

Milt - thinking Ignorance is Bliss - so long as you don't think about it.