From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 18:19:47 -0500
Greetings again.
     I failed to mention a couple of important points in the original post.
First, the cells were on the bottom edge of the frames.  There were no
supercedure cells in the hive.  Second, I mis-typed the number of drawn
frames.  There were 8 full frames drawn, and 2 that were 3/4 drawn.  Third,
the colony was the second swarm from that hive.  I had marked the queen
after she began to lay.  She is also one of my better laying queens that I
have.  Of the 8 drawn frames, 6 were filled with eggs and brood, wall to
wall! Lastly, I know it was the original queen, because I had marked her
after I installed the swarm, and lo and behold, it was the marked queen
chewing on the cell.
     I contacted a couple master beekeepers around here, and they informed
me that I may have seen something few, if any people had ever seen!  Has
anyone else observed this, or even heard of it before?
     I am going to requeen the hive though due to the fact the queens want
to swarm so easily.  Thanks again all!
Scott Moser
" I believe that beekeeping mirrors life.  One must endure a few stings to
reach the final sweet reward."  S. Moser