From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:22:00 -0800
>If I had to look for broodless hives, I would choose November, (and that is
our chance to use oxalic drizzle).

Allen, that concurs with the little bit of published data that I've seen, as
well as with my personal observations.  Common for colonies to have a bit of
brood in December, but doesn't really kick in until fresh pollen becomes
available.

> >My friends who winter indoors say that in late winter when snow melts, if
> some water runs under the door into the dark cool wintering room, that the
> bees sense the humidity and go crazy.

Was speaking with a Saskatchewan beekeeper who supplies his indoor bees with
water during the winter--similar response.

>Its seems that too dry, no brood.

That's also an interesting observation, Jerry.  Here is Calif, our winters
are so wet that I wouldn't know.

Randy Oliver