From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 07:43:50 -0400
"Tip--put grafting frame into queenless builder for a few hours before grafting.

Chinese tool works best in old, dark combs, due to rounded bottoms--much
harder in new combs."

Thanks for the advice, Randy.  The info about comb and the Chinese tool is very interesting and exactly my experience.  The frame I picked happened to have relatively new comb, and I actually tore some of the cells the first few times I tried.  Just thought I was being my normal, clumsy self.  Since I use Pierco frames, at least I didn't break on through to the other side (with apologies to Jim Morrison).  Will look for older comb for the next attempt.

I'll also try putting the frame in the cell builder the day before.  That's highly recommended/required for the Nicot device to get the queen to lay in it (I did it and it worked), but I never thought about it for the cell frame when grafting.

Can I reuse the cell cups from which queens were not drawn (assuming the bees cleaned them out - have not checked, yet), or should I put new cups in the frame?  It's not about cost, it's about acceptance.  If the old ones can be used/reused, then they will have had lots of bee traffic on them and should no longer smell 'new', right?

Thanks!

Bill Greenrose
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”