Date:
Fri, 13 May 2011 14:22:25 -0700
..... observing SHB in
an observation hive. We made an important discovery which we told the
USDA about but I have never <seen> in print.     We could take an
observation hive with SHB in it and shake the OB hive and SHB would
start laying eggs. Our conclusion was disturbing the weak colony would
cause SHB to try and reproduce.

I have found that moving hives that are infested with small SHb larvae a ride in a trailer from one location to another would cause all the larvae, regardless of age, to evacuate the hive.  When at the destination and picking up the hive to place it in its new location, there would be a pile of SHb larvae underneath the screened bottom board - hundreds of larvae.  I don't know that all the larvae evacuated the hive, but do believe a large portion of them did do so.   And, of course, that doesn't take into account all the eggs that had been laid and were in the process of development.

Has anyone else observed this effect of "vibration" on small hive beetle larvae?

Mike in LA